On 2 January 2018 the Ministerial Advisory Committee on Out-of-Pocket Costs was established to provide advice to the Minister on possible reforms covering:
- Best practice models for the transparency of in-hospital medical out-of-pocket costs, and associated medical services in the community;
- Legislation and regulatory barriers to consumer transparency of out-of-pocket medical costs;
- The implementation of best practice models; and
- Other related issues as directed by the Minister.
Professor Brendan Murphy has been selected to chair the Ministerial Advisory Committee on Out-of-Pocket Costs.
Committee members have been selected from the following organisations:
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons - Mr John Batten
- Australian Medical Association - Dr Andrew Miller
- Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists - Professor Steve Robson
- Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists - Professor David Scott
- Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists - Associate Professor Mark Daniell
- Australian Orthopaedic Association - Dr Lawrie Malisano
- Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand - Professor Mark Frydenberg
- Royal Australasian College of Physicians - Professor Christian Gericke
- Australian Private Hospitals Association - Dr Michael Coglin
- Catholic Health Australia (St John of God Health Care) - Ms Cathy Ryan
- Consumers Health Forum of Australia - Ms Jo Root
- Australian Health Service Alliance- Mr Andrew Sando
- nib - Mr Rhod McKensey
- Australian Society of Anaesthetists - Dr Mark Sinclair
Committee – Terms of ReferenceThe Terms of Reference guide the work of the Committee.
- 8 February 2018 – Ministerial Advisory Committee on Out-of-Pocket Costs
- 23 March 2018 – Ministerial Advisory Committee on Out-of-Pocket Costs